In addition to the protections of the Do Not Call List, the Federal Trade Commission has also instituted rules for telemarketers intended to protect consumers.
- The Do Not Call List protects consumers from unwanted telemarketing calls.
- They cannot call you before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Even if your number is not on the National Do Not Call List, you can ask a specific company to put you on their internal do not call list. The company must honor your request.
- Before telemarketers make a sales pitch, they must tell you that it is a sales call and who is doing the selling.
- They may not misrepresent any information, including facts about their goods or services.
- They must tell you the total cost of the products and services they are offering and any restrictions on getting or using them.
- They cannot withdraw money from your bank account without your express, verifiable authorization.
- They cannot use an automated dialer to leave you a recorded commercial message.
- If you have Caller ID, they cannot take any action to disguise the number from which they are calling.
- If you have a fax machine, they cannot send you unsolicited commercial faxes.
For more information about telemarketers or telephone scams, visit the Federal Trade Commission here.
When it comes to your phone, we’ve got your back, Arkansas.