Medicare and Medicaid Issues
The Attorney General works alongside other agencies to assist consumers in navigating the sometimes complex programs of Medicare and Medicaid.
Medicare is an insurance program for senior citizens and is administered by the federal government. For most questions, Medicare beneficiaries may call (800) MEDICARE (800-633-4227) or go to www.medicare.gov. Here, consumers can obtain information about individual coverage and the status of claims. On the website, consumers may review Medicare Advantage plans, Part D drug plans, and other topics of interest. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) also provides free educational information on this site.
Arkansas Medicaid is a health program managed by the State of Arkansas and jointly funded by state and federal dollars. The Arkansas Department of Human Services administers the Arkansas Medicaid program. DHS’s local county offices are the point of contact and primary resource for Medicaid beneficiaries and applicants. Beneficiaries and applicants may also contact Client Assistance at (800) 482-8988 or visit DHS online.
Arkansas’s Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries may experience the following issues and should first contact CMS or Arkansas Medicaid for assistance in resolving these issues:
- Enrolling a beneficiary in a Medicare Advantage plan without their knowledge.
- Coordination of Benefits between Medicare and private insurance.
- Third party liability issues where Medicare or Medicaid is not the primary payer.
- False claims for services.
- Assistance in finding a Medicare plan.
Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries are frequently targeted by scam artists. To avoid becoming the victim of fraud or identity theft, remember the following:
- Never give out any personal information in person, over the phone, or on the Internet to people or companies with which you are unfamiliar.
- If personal information is requested, verify the request for information directly with the company or organization involved by contacting the entity using a telephone number from an independent source.
- Remember that legitimate Medicare organizations never attempt to collect sensitive information, Social Security numbers, addresses, and Medicare numbers.
- Senior citizens or family members should call (800) MEDICARE to report any of these types of calls or go to www.stopmedicarefraud.gov to learn more about efforts to fight these types of scams.
Selecting a Medicare Part D or Medicare Advantage Plan
Utilize the following resources for assistance selecting a Medicare Part D or Medicare Advantage Plan or to discuss other Medicare/Medicaid questions:
- The Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP). SHIIP is a health insurance information program that provides free one-on-one counseling, education, and information to individuals with Medicare of all ages. SHIIP answers questions related to Medicare health coverage, Medicare supplemental insurance, long-term care insurance, Medicare Advantage Plans, and Medicaid. Contact SHIIP at (800) 224-6330, (501) 371-2782 or visit SHIIP online.
- Download a free copy of the Medicare Protection Toolkit from SHIIP or the Attorney General.
When it comes to Medicare and Medicaid issues, we’ve got your back, Arkansas.