Credit Reporting Errors

If you believe that information on your credit report is inaccurate or outdated, you have a right to dispute that information. Your dispute will be investigated by the credit reporting agency. There is no charge for this service. Even if you do not suspect that any information on your credit report is inaccurate or outdated, it pays to periodically check.

Steps for Error Correction

  1. Get a copy of your credit report and review it. It’s free.
  2. Determine if any items in the report are inaccurate or outdated.
  3. Write to the creditor and all three major credit bureaus explaining the problem with the item.
  4. Send all letters by certified mail, return receipt requested, and keep a copy of the letter and of any other documents you send.
  5. Keep all your original documents, especially receipts, sales slips, and billing statements.
  6. Be persistent. It may take more than one letter to correct a credit problem.
  7. Within 30 days, the credit reporting agency must investigate your claim and update or delete any inaccurate item. The credit reporting agency must notify you that the investigation has been completed, as well as provide you with a revised report.
  8. In some cases, the reporting agency may maintain that the information is correct. If this happens, you are entitled to provide up to a 100-word statement explaining why you believe there is an error and that statement will be included in your future credit reports. Below is the contact information for the three major credit reporting agencies.
  • TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289,; P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
  •  Experian: 1-888-397-3742,; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
  •  Equifax: 1-800-525-6285,; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

 When it comes to your credit, we’ve got your back, Arkansas.