» My Phone
VoIP Phone Service
Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a technology that allows you to make phone calls over an Internet connection. VoIP phone service can be convenient and a money-saver for some consumers. But, consumers should to make sure that VoIP phone service is right for them before ordering the equipment and entering into any long-term agreement.
- Use of VoIP requires a high speed Internet connection. This can be achieved through a cable modem, or high speed services such as DSL.
- Some VoIP services require the use of a special phone. Others require an adapter or will only work through a computer.
- Know who you can call. Some services only allow you to communicate with others who have the same service.
- Know where you can call. Local calls, long distance calls, and international calls may be included in one monthly fee, or they may each have a separate cost.
- Consider the limitations of VoIP and whether you can accept telephone service with limitations. Some services may not work during power outages or when the connected computer is turned off. The availability of directory assistance may also not be available. Depending upon the service provider, 911 service may or may not be available.
- If your VoIP service provider furnishes equipment in connection with your service, early cancellation of your contract could result in higher costs for you in the form of an Early Termination Fee.
For additional information about VoIP, visit the FCC here.
When it comes to your phone, we’ve got your back, Arkansas.